Monday 9 December 2013

Calhoun's Bounty now available on Kindle

For this month’s Kindle offering I’ve moved on to Calhoun’s Bounty, my 12th Black Horse Western. I chose to do this one next purely so I could get to read it and find out what happened.

I had almost no recollection of this book with even the blurb not helping my memory. The only thing I could remember about the story was that I’d killed off one of my recurring characters, which I’d regretted doing afterwards as it meant I couldn’t use him again. Amusingly, when I’d worked my way through the book, I found that the character didn’t die after all and even stranger, I realized he wasn’t a recurring character either. The other thing I found amusing was I spent the whole story wondering why I’d taken a certain direction with the plot. It just felt like I’d made a horrible mistake or at best missed an opportunity, except everything became clear when I got to the end and hit the big twist.

In the end I quite enjoyed being surprised by something I’d written! Anyhow, the story is a sort of Maltese Falcon type tale with lots of bad guys chasing around after a macguffin and shooting each other up in their quest to find it. The title is now available for around 99 cents from Amazon.


 

A bullet-ridden man staggered into Stonewall’s saloon clutching a gold bar and with his dying breath he named bounty hunter Denver Calhoun as his killer. Although the dead man turned out to be one of the bank-raiding Flynn gang, when the gold bar was offered as bounty on Denver’s head every man in town was on the hunt for him.

Denver himself had moved on to Bluff Creek where he joined a high stakes poker-game, and when the formerly impoverished Horace Turner wagered a gold bar, Denver reckoned the Flynns had to be behind the gold turning up in the hands of the most unlikely of people.

Despite all the guntoters on his trail, Denver vows to bring the Flynn gang to justice. But can he succeed now that the bounty hunter has become the hunted?

No comments: