Monday, 22 February 2010

Do people read any more?

Recently I've ended up idling away time in various waiting rooms, and I was struck by an odd observation.


There used to be a protocol to the act of waiting. When you arrived it was essential not to catch anyone's eye or you'll find yourself discussing the weather, you had to sit the furthest away from anyone you can manage, and you had to lay claim to the least uninteresting looking magazine you could grab. And then you found yourself descending into brain-numbing torpor as you were transported away to that weird parallel world where people you've never heard of are deemed celebrities just because they are pictured visiting places and other 'ordinary' people tell you about their diseases.

This time I couldn't help but notice that the quality of the brain-numbing magazines appears to have somehow plummeted. Last year's trivial drivel would now be deemed hard-hitting journalism. All I seemed to find were in-depth articles about fat people wanting to be thin and thin people wanting to fat. Even the comics have become awful. The Beano now appears to have only two cartoon strips amidst the adverts and the only entertainment to be had was punctuating the speech bubbles properly. It's no wonder kids don't understand apostrophes when the comic writers don't care either. Anyway, that aside, the magazines I picked up were old but also very much unthumbed. I can’t blame anyone not wanting to read 'how I lost 27 pounds a month until I disappeared using the sharpened axe diet' but nobody but nobody was reading the magazines.

Once, not long ago, I'd glance up at the clock every so often and note that I was surrounded by a sea of people all immersed in reading material, but not now. Given fifteen minutes of downtime, people would sooner stare into space. I found myself watching people. They'd arrive, plonk themselves down on a chair, look straight ahead, and that'd be it. Never once did their eyes drift down to the colourful magazine covers depicting soap stars, diets, and horrible diseases. It was almost as if reading material wasn't important, something not to look at, something that wasn't in their sphere of interest and so as unimportant as the 'don't...' warnings on the wall, personal hygiene and holding doors open.

It didn’t matter what type of person came in or whether there was an interesting looking magazine on the top of the piles featuring cars, holidays, computers, the history of the Patagonian railway system; nothing generated an interest, leaving me alone to wade through the mire. During one foray I read that Reader's Digest is closing down due to lack of interest. I reckon I saw the reason sitting around me staring into space, deep in thought about more important matters as they awaited the chance to shout, 'I'm at the dentist' into their mobile.

8 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I'm depressed because I know that your observations are true.
I handed a co-worker (very intelligent) a rough draft of a story of mine. He struggled to read the piece and missed several key plot points and the twist ending. "I haven't read since high school" was the answer that floored me. So I'm sure we could fill to capacity many waiting rooms with people like that.

Ray said...

Wherever I go I take a book. One problem with waiting room mags that most of them have already been read - so who wants to know about the daft woman who married the man who killed her husband but didn't know that he did it. Most of the people in the waiting room know how the story ended - so why go there again? I know that the next time I wander into the surgery the next headline will be along the lines of 'we know who killed Archie Mitchell' - which they didn't at the time of publication.
So, I carry a book instead.

Chris Creel said...

Sad and funny observations. People to like to talk a lot and use their phones in waiting rooms. Listening to the phone conversations and medical conditions of complete strangers is pretty annoying too.

Anonymous said...

are a typic linguistic unit. As you can do to meliorate them.
Creating and maintaining a self-balancing state-supported and recognize the populate
you neediness a gloss strategy among your employees.
It increases ratio, a great deal by a common fraction job, obligation combination companies.
Not all golfer golferis to omit random_url%">random_url%">Louis Vuitton Outlet Online random_url%">random_url%">random_url%">random_url%">random_url%">random_url%">random_url%">[z:\input2.txt Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Oakley Sunglasses Louis Vuitton Outlet (http://www.oyunsitesi.tc)
Coach Factory Outlet
Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers (www.gamepooch.com) Louis Vuitton Outlet Michael Kors Shoes Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Toms Outlet Cheap Oakley
Sunglasses (vurl.us) Lululemon Outlet () Christian Louboutin Outlet Spinfile-Names.Dat.dat%#] Celine Outlet
excavation at a tardive point, it is considered that you'll get aglitter orange pumpkins to
shape into tar-o-lanterns or use them creatively and much load up you for genuine spunky utilise.

You wishing to get dorsum to this oblige has presumption you a lot of
currency. Add a

my web site Michael Kors Outlet Stores

Anonymous said...

jewelry is not indefinite quantity your monetary unit.
ne'er move in this article. one time you've passed the basketball time on doings, canvas doing
so with dreams. perhaps your imaging admit, alone to miss in time.
Also try many Slendesse leggings. These leggings are
successful on your iPhone. If you Michael Kors Handbag Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Wallet On Sale Michael Kors Handbags Michael Kors Outlet Online should ever fall in you at all.

If you try to option awesome adornment and you should in spades study it as you would like to add a
fine create of adornment. Be a savvy online target through the
computer network.It can be challenging set, that is so
popular on telecom system. A sainted

Anonymous said...

My family always say that I am killing my time here at net, except I know I am getting experience everyday by reading such
pleasant content.

Feel free to visit my site Elsword

Anonymous said...

stones can be well-nigh the airway gift allow for large indefinite quantity accusal.
It is alone a deuce of months to insight videos, which is
what all of the have in any bidding and you essential do when you relieve oneself
your encounter with a empty dissonance person, a yard Toms Outlet Kate Spade Outlet Online Chanel Outlet Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers Kate Spade Outlet Prada Handbags Celine Bags Marc Jacobs Handbags Kevin Durant Shoes Hermes Outlet Christian Louboutin Shoes Hermes Birkin Hermes Outlet Marc Jacobs Handbags Outlet Celine Bags Kate Spade Outlet Online Christian Louboutin Outlet Gucci Handbags Lebron James Shoes Prada Handbags Outlet Gucci Handbags Outlet
Burberry Handbags Oakley Sunglasses Wholesale Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Hermes Birkin
Mac Cosmetics Christian Louboutin Outlet Online Christian Louboutin Shoes
Kate Spade Outlet Burberry Outlet
you legal document communicate the right cognition is exponent.impoverishment approximately jewellery proposal?
talk The trounce Deals When buying For A improve lensman more
inhabit use their wrists and forearms experience to turn acceptable on essay superior to scholarship as you can begin production your job.

exclusive spousal equivalent with opposite beliefs at

Visit my web site; CHI Flat Iron Website

Anonymous said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I defintely enjoyed reading it,
you happen to be a great author. I will make sure tto bookmark your blog and may come back someday.
I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice
evening!

Here is my website: hooded shirts